Re: CSS Design Question

by Steve Mai <Stephen.F.Mai-1(at)tc.umn.edu>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:50:27 -0500
 To:  gendress(at)symbios.com,
Web Design Theory <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  hwg-html(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I'm not sure how "theoretical" this is, so I'm sending it to hwg-html also.

At 11:44 AM -0700 1/13/98, Gabriele Endress wrote:

>When I create the underlying HTML page, should I keep everything (fonts,
>colors, etc) at default? If so then people with older browsers are going
>to see one heck of an ugly page ...

I've found that the <FONT FACE> tag overrides any implementation of the
font-family tag that you use in CSS.  If you use <Font Face> in the
headings, then font-family won't work with the headings.  If you use <Font
Face> in <P> text, then (if I remember right), you won't be able to control
the font with font-family.

So, if you want to be able to change the fonts of your pages by simply
changing your stylesheet, then you must stick with the default fonts in
HTML.

Note: you can still use the font-weight property with CSS in conjunction
with the <FONT FACE> tag.  This is nice when you don't want your <H1>s to
be so heavy.

Also, when I used HTML to specify link color and used CSS to do other
things, MSIE 3.0 changed all my links (visited and unvisited) to black
because my stylesheet did not specify what color they should be.

My recommendation is to get as many browsers [and platforms :-( ] as
possible and test it on all of them.

good luck,
--Steve

Stephen F. Mai
University of Minnesota Department of Rhetoric
MS Program in Scientific and Technical Communication
maix0020(at)maroon.tc.umn.edu

Visit "World Wide Steve" at:
http://www.agricola.umn.edu/people/smai